Monday, September 3, 2012

70th Birthday Cake


Really happy with how this cake turned out for my father-in-laws 70th birthday this weekend.  A  Red velvet cake (recipe from King Arthur Flour) with white chocolate butter cream frosting.


The corn is made from fondant.  I just made a solid roll of fondant in the shape of a corn cob and then rolled little balls off fondant to look like corn and stuck them to the cob.  The outer leaves are just thin leaf shapes that I stretched out by hand and then laid on to look like husks.  Once I had them on there I took a roller tool and scratched the outer later to give it a more realistic look.


Cookies are butter sugar cookies from the King Arthur site and decorated with royal icing.


And around the bottom and along the ear of corn I just decorated with Brach's candy corn for a cute harvest  look.


All and all is was a good cake and a good day:)

No comments:

Blogging tips