Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Brooketrout Designs: Pot holders


Friends are always saying to me "can you make me this or that?  I will pay you!"  

Ok, lets do that!

Alright, now I know its the middle of tax season but what the heck right?  The best stress reliever for me is to have a project or a goal.  Even if I only get a hour or two a week to work on it.  It just keeps me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel.  

I am an accountant . . .I need a checklist.  Its just in my blood.


These pot holders were a request from a friend of mine.   Who like me, LOVES wine.  We always have the best of time hanging together after a long run sitting of my porch with our feet up and a glass of a fine cabernet.  (Note - can't wait for summer, can you tell?)  So when I was shopping for fabric for some kitchen attire for her, I saw this fabric and fell in love with it.  

This pattern is just off the top of my head, 10 x 10 inch squares that are sewn together with cotton batting.  **Note - make sure you use cotton and not polyester.  Heat and polyester do not play well together.  I used two layers of cotton batting so its padded, but not too padded.  I am not a big fan of those granny looking pot holders you see at craft fairs.  I wanted a more modern look.  I also chose to sew a little hook hanger for the corner edge.  

Each one has a 1/2 inch seam all the way around leaving a 1.5 inch opening to turn.  Remember to trim the corners for ease.  After turning, I pressed and then quilted a 1/2 inch all the way around the inside of the square.  Then again, and again for a total of 5 times.  



I love these and the fabric.  I am also making her some coasters and some placemats to match.  I do have a little bit of fabric left over, so I think I will make a set of pot holders for inventory for sale later on.  Interested? - See my Brooketrout Designs tab for more information.

As I finish up the place mats this week. . .I might have to finish with a glass of wine in their honor:)  Cheers!

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Love these! I will have to make a set for my kitchen, now - thanks for enabling/encouraging my obsession with sewing and a to-do list! :)

Blogging tips