Saturday, May 18, 2013

Homemade Finger Paints!!!!

Brooke and I decided to experiment with a homemade finger paint recipe today.  Truthfully she has been driving me buggy for the past week since her Melissa & Doug paint cups came in to paint but I just don't have the energy after work at night to take on this kind of project.  

I found a great recipe from Easiepeasie when surfing around the web.  The hardest part was finding containers to store the paint in.  Now these Melissa & Doug ones are really meant for regular paint but for now they are perfect once you take the spill proof lid off.  So in the end, they will grow with her as her artistic medium changes.  


You can get these on Amazon pretty cheap (at least I think) and they are well made.  I thought about some empty jars or plastic containers but for the price of these . . .not worth my time and these are dishwasher safe (yahoo!).

Recipe is simple:

3 tbs of Sugar
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/2 cup of Corn Starch
2 cups of Water
Food Coloring (add after you have made the paint)

Combine in a sauce pan and warm until it thickens, pour into containers and add the food coloring.



I made a complete batch of each color to fill the containers and had enough left over to fill some small containers for her to take to daycare on Monday.  Now you will have to let these cool before use which means they might drive you crazy asking .  . its now 1:30 pm and I think I have been asked 30 times if "we can paint now?".  Might want to make these late at night to keep you sane.



Imagine!

No comments:

Blogging tips